Search This Blog

Saturday 21 January 2012

A woman of many talents

My mother is one talented lady.  

The other day she found an old History of Art exercise book of hers filled with notes and sketches taken when she was 17 at high school in Malta.  It was completely mind blowing...she is one supa-dupa mother artist.

Botticelli

Michelangelo

Vermeer


Perhaps it is my ignorance to blame but I never thought History of Art students were required to sketch or draw the pieces they were studying.  But it seems Art students of the late 60s and early 70s had to - and with exceptional skill.

My mother also showed me her old exam answer papers where she had to sketch paintings to illustrate her arguments.  That is certainly obligatory for scientists.  But my artwork is rudimentary 2-D rubbish...and that's without comparing it to her work.





Incredible!  And do you know what is crazy?  She didn't pursue a career as an artist but went into the Army.  Madness!!  But she is now taking a course in History of Art at the same fine academic institute as me.  I'm very proud of her!  Although, not so much when I have to type her 4,000 word essays!

Love you Mum!

No comments:

Post a Comment