Search This Blog

Tuesday 14 June 2011

Moisturiser - Student Style

I openly admit that as a student I cannot afford the finer things in life, and that includes moisturiser.  No, I kid!  I was just sick of using petroleum based toxic products so decided for make my own. 

All these giant cosmetics companies advertise how scientific their products are - "it'll make you scientifically more beautiful as our products use the science of genes".  Who knows what that means?  If you asked a geneticist they wouldn't know!

Aside from all this marketing sillyness, moisturisers are really simple. 
The four ingredients are:
1. Olive oil.
2. Coconut oil
3. Beeswax (or honey)
4. Water

Use equal amounts of each ingredient.  Heat the olive and coconut oil together.  Add this to the melted beeswax, stirring continually (I like to use a fork to mix well).  Then add the water while mixing.  Pour the mixture into a clean, sterile container and store in the fridge for up to six months

You can also add a few drops of essential oils - I love lavender for it soothing and antibacterial properties.  The basic rule is half - one drop of essential oil for every ml of base oil (in this case it is olive oil).  I like to experiment with the amounts and use different essential oils to get it just how I like it.



So, now I have a cheap, petroleum-free moisturiser that smells of freshly cut flowers...and with no ridiculous marketing tag attached!

No comments:

Post a Comment